Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Half-Life 2 Movie. . . simply unbelievable

samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
[url=http://www.t-bag.dsl.pipex.com/halflife2.mpg]This will blow your mind[/url].

The Gravity gun rocks.

Even the matresses bend and flex like real matresses.

Comments

• RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Tightness...

EDIT: Make that unfucking believable.
  • WHYWHY Elite Ranger
    8P~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~
  • WHYWHY Elite Ranger
    scroll to the bottom of the page

lots of "not quite legit" links..

[url]http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7195&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=125[/url]
  • Jaw this is the floor, floor this is my jaw.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    :eek: That's fraking COOOL!!!
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    I was just going to post those...

WOWOWOWOW!! I'm SO CANNOT WAIT
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Too bad by computer is about 3 years from running it...

The interaction with the environment is awesome! I love when the radiator was thrown, it hit the soda machine and cans started to fly out!

Jake
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    [img]http://www.freeadpower.org/~mrsmiles/cwm/cwm/eek2.gif[/img]

I'm glad to see they kept the crowbar and the sound that it makes when you hit the "use" button.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Arrgh... it's not loading!
  • WHYWHY Elite Ranger
    Since those links to the other videos have been taken down.. I suppose I can give the lowdown on the better ones...

One has Gordon driving a Dunebuggy (YES!!!) while being chased by an attack helicoper, He hops out of the buggy and hides behind a wrecked APC on a highway, He shoots it down by picking up a rocket launcher, the last thing you see before it ends is the copter crashing down as it's flying towards freeman, knocking cars out of the way, the movie ending as the chopper flies right into your face.

another has Freeman and a group of soldiers going up against a Strider in the City.... You're walking around minding your own business (Well, as much as you can expect) with allied soldiers skulkging around you, you hear someone scream "STRIDER !" you turn to look down a street and you see a gargantuan spider-creature walking down it. A skywalk above you just explodes and you and the soldiers are trying to empty clips into the strider. Gordon runs out of ammo and decides to use the gravgun to toss a Dresser at it (nearly knocking it over). Soldiers die around you, you hear somoene else scream "STRIDER". freeman turns as he sees another of these beasts climbing over a building. you hear "retreat !" and the player runs away from it, only to see the Stridert kill some poor bastard who tried ot stand up to it by impaling him on one of it's legs (interestingly enough, it even shakes the copse off). You then see the strider go after freeman, last thing you see is a warping of the screen as it shoots you.

err.. ignore that and try these... *cough*

[url]http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?title=Half-Life+2+Movie+9&path=e32k3-halflife2_pce32003_1dn.asx&pid=914642 [/url]

[url]http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?title=Half-Life+2+Movie+9&path=e32k3-halflife2_pce32003_3dn.asx&pid=914642 [/url]

[url]http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?title=Half-Life+2+Movie+9&path=e32k3-halflife2_pce32003_4dn.asx&pid=914642 [/url]

[url]http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?title=Half-Life+2+Movie+9&path=e32k3-halflife2_pce32003_5dn.asx&pid=914642 [/url]

[url]http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?title=Half-Life+2+Movie+9&path=e32k3-halflife2_pce32003_6dn.asx&pid=914642 [/url]

[url]http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?title=Half-Life+2+Movie+9&path=e32k3-halflife2_pce32003_7dn.asx&pid=914642 [/url]

[url]http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer.html?title=Half-Life+2+Movie+9&path=e32k3-halflife2_pce32003_8dn.asx&pid=914642 [/url]

here they are, you have to watch through ads and stuff at the begining of each one but goddamn its worth it.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Words cannot express how glad I am that I upgraded recently.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Yeah... Enough with the dry technology stuff... ;)
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    heh, I may need to upgrade again...which do you think, upgrade the Athlon XP 1800+, or the GeForce3 ti 200 @ 128MB?
  • WHYWHY Elite Ranger
    probably the Geforce, Processor speed isn't as important nowadays...
    One more comment. The AI (assuming these are not completely scripted) is amazing!!

EDIT: LOL!! Look at the letters that freemen shoots at the strider at the end of the last movie. They are F U!! thats a funny little added in thing...
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    From PC gamers take on it, it isn't scripted. they said the AI was so amazing they could tell if something was scripted or not, or if anything was scripted.

They were shown the level in the editor, just to prove the no scripted sequence thing. THen watched the AI take over. :)
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    I are spishläss!
  • LennierLennier Ranger
    Fileplanet has a high quality version of the original clip that all those were taken from. You can hear the developer commentary and theres more video including shots of the zombies(when you kill a zombie the headcrap detaches and attacks you!) and the g-man. The expressions people can make are awesome. You have to deal with file planet and its a 400+ meg download but if you have broadband its well worth it just for the better quality.
    I just cant handle fileplantet. Bugs the hell out of me.
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    Yeah, me too... but I caved and I just downloaded it. Oh man it is sweet!
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    Dunno if id will be able to beat this game. I just can't see Doom3 looking more immersive than this. Valve was definitely playing the cards close, and playing them well.

Looks like Gabe et. al. are about to take the game engine crown solidly. Add that to the fact that all this is being revealed in a fashion where it's "too late to add features" to the games competing with it...wow. I'm sure even Carmack was impressed.

I also know Randy would spoo over the "spontanious unscripted AI interaction" in the game...

*Taps Randy on the shoulder....

-R.
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    Nice hearing fom you Rick, and it [I][B]would[/B][/I] be nice to hear Randy's opinion, though I'm sure he has something better in the works :D
    Nice to see you around Rick!! Sit down and stay a while.
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i]
    [B]Dunno if id will be able to beat this game. I just can't see Doom3 looking more immersive than this. Valve was definitely playing the cards close, and playing them well.

Looks like Gabe et. al. are about to take the game engine crown solidly. Add that to the fact that all this is being revealed in a fashion where it's "too late to add features" to the games competing with it...wow. I'm sure even Carmack was impressed.

I also know Randy would spoo over the "spontanious unscripted AI interaction" in the game...

*Taps Randy on the shoulder....

-R. [/B][/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly, Rick.

Doom 3 is impressive, and it will be popular. It'll be scary, no doubt. But comparing the visuals, Doom 3 is very "plastic" and shiny, while Half-Life 2 has a more colorful and realistic palette.

I'm very impressed with the way Valve has handled this. They've weathered years of doubt from the gaming community and still managed to keep a lid on HL2. Most gaming companies are pressured by fans and publishers to the point where they reveal games too early. Valve does have the luxury of very little publisher pressure, but it's still amazing that they've kept HL2 a secret for so long. They played their cards perfectly.
    I have to agree.
    However, on the part of the spontaneous unscripted AI, I don't think it's yet at the point where it's hugely useful for what Randy (and I) wants. From what I've heard about it, it's excellent for setting atmosphere and giving games a more "alive" feel, but I don't think it's possible to use it to move a story along. But hey, they haven't really revealed all that much about it and I'm not an AI expert, so who knows? :)
  • KevokKevok Trainee
    I watched the video and saw all the screenshots and do you know what impressed me the most?

The Crowbar :eek:

It just looks so real, the bump mapping, the dirt, it's just so damn impressive.

Btw, valve licenced the physics engine from [URL=http://www.havok.com/]Havok[/URL].
    Who are one of a very very very few Irish development teams.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Doom3 will have a greater music track. Trent Reznor is making it :)

I think HL2 will be the better game though...
    Yeah, I do too. Something someone said somewhere (I think it was at Blues News): "Doom 3 looks great, but it looks like plastic." Doom 3 does look great, and while it doesn't look that plasticy to me, HL2 looks more real.
  • eamonmcaeamonmca Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]They were shown the level in the editor, just to prove the no scripted sequence thing. THen watched the AI take over. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm going to assume that wasnt the big outdoor level in city 17 with the 2 striders.

I've watched the video several times, and noticed some 'predictable' group behaviour characteristics. You have to have seen the full video to get this but Ill elaborate my point:

The friendly AI humans may either act independently of you, or in support of you. In the part where you advance on the soldiers holding a defensive line, they are clearly in support of you. They give covering fire, and some will follow you.
    In City 17, the 7/8 human soldiers move on their own up the street, then run away screaming from it (the strider), not stopping to return fire until in the main plaza.
    Watch them move about in the plaza, and any other scene. They move, but not all at once. A couple will look behind, giving covering fire while the rest run. The ones that run then give cover from further away as the first covering troops run away.

I have to imagine that either:
    The AI is 'smart' enough to engage a strider only in an open area where they can surround it.
    OR
    It was scripted in the sense of:
    "When the troops see a strider they run to this area."
    Its not much scripting, but it's there if I'm right.

Note: I love the look of HL2. THe ai is miles ahead of anything ive ever seen before. But the previews released so far are adverts. They should be treated with a degree of caution.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    froim what I understand, the devs are trying to avoid scripting as much as possible, Some scenes will doubtlessly need SOME scripting, but the idea is that the player won't be able to tell whats scripted and whats not.