Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

The Presidents Speech

RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
As most of you know, the President of the United States of America spoke this evening at 9:00 P.M. Eastern Time. His speech was approxamatly thirty minutes long and the President recieved several ovations.

I feel that the President did an excellent job.

He commented on the future of the U.S., commented on how this was the work of fanatics and did not represent the view of Muslim religions, and how it would be handled. He also made several damands to the ruling Taliban. These were basically hand over Bin Laden, all those involved in his terrorist group, shut down ALL terrorist training camps, and allow the U.S. to send in people to observe this. He also reiterated that you are either with the U.S. or with the terrorists. Please feel free to add to this. Also post your feelings on the President's speech.

Comments

• I think he did very well. he's never been an orator, but in the 40 minutes of the speech, he stumbled once.

We're at war folks, unless you think Pakistan will surrender to our demands. (Yea, right)

------------------
    [b]whitestar90: [/b]"it would give the computer a heartattack just looking at it" -
    [b]Sanfam: [/b]"And Drazi didn't like it one bit.-
    [b]Mr.Bungle: [/b][i]"So that's where the forum went..."[/i]-
    ---
    [b][i]ahhh, the good old days of HTML.[/i][/b]
  • I have never seen the President more focused towards the resolve.......

Manohman what an excellent speech....had goosebumps throughout....

Most impressed....
  • HavokHavok Earthforce Officer
    Point...A2597....It's not Pakistan, its the Taliban. The Taliban control about 2/3rds of Afganistan and have been in a civil war since the Soviets pulled out.

The Presidents speach I thought hit the points it needed to. And I agree with him.

He made no bones about what he expected from both the American People and the rest of the world. He also made the point that we will not tolerate persecution and violence against Arab or Muslem Americans. That kind of thing is bread out of ignorance.

By the way, a world war is defined as the majority of countries of the world at war.

By this definition and his words, I would like to welcome you to World War III.

God help us all.
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    General Schwarzkopf said, "He didn't draw a line in the sand, he bulldozed a [i]trench[/i] in the sand".

I think that about says it all.

This technically isn't WWIII yet...but it could be, depending on how things go in the next few weeks.

"And so it begins."

[This message has been edited by samuelk (edited 09-20-2001).]
  • or how about.....

"Never start a fight.....but always finish it"

Said that in the thread I started.

Another B5 rant.....
  • Havok: This "war" has actually been going on for quite a while; only now, the stakes have gone [i]way[/i] up.

Nonetheless, I share your concern: if things get [i]really[/i] ugly, it's a safe bet that my Naval Reserve unit will be activated, and we could end up in the middle of it. If that should happen, I can only hope that we all come back the same way we left (i.e., alive and in one piece).
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Even if you come back physically in one piece, you won't be the same ever again. War is like that. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/frown.gif[/img]

This isn't World War III yet, but it could very easily erupt into it in a small amount of time.

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    He did a very good job considering the number of times he's misspoken in the past. One nit pick, it drove me nuts to here him say terra instead of terror, two words with very different meanings.

One thing that has never been mentioned and, I think would be the most effective against stopping terrorism based in that area of the world, is the rebuilding of Afghanistan. Once the US has finished the military campaign that it looks like we're going to conduct (hopefully successfully), we need to rebuild this impoverished country to a point well beyond where they are at now. IMHO rebuilding and reestablishing the economy (which has never really been rebuilt since the Russians left) would be one of the cheapest, most effective tools to combat terrorism. If people there have jobs and money, then terrorist group will have much less influence over young men and boys. This rebuilding could also provide yet another Muslim ally. If you need examples of the benefits of rebuilding our enemies, look at Japan and Germany.

Another way to look at it is, we attack Afghanistan, complete our military objectives, capture Bin Laden and friends and off we go. Now the country is in even worse condition, the people are even angrier than before...terrorist groups will spring up faster than before.

Another step the US can take the will help to hold together the fragile collation of nations that will be involved in the conflict, is to take complete responsibility for all the refugees that this war has and will create. Treat this people with dignity, provide them with plenty of food, water and medical services and it will show the world we are not attacking the people of Afghanistan, but those who wish to do harm to the US.

What do you guys think? Am I way off base here or does rebuilding make sense?

------------------
    [i]This is crazy. I hope I haven't brain my damaged.[/i]

I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!
  • One thing that concerned me about the speech, that hasn't been mentioned. The Office of Homeland Security. Does this concern anybody else?

Nightwatch, anybody?
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Yah I thought that name was a little ominous, but it sounds like they will be mealy coordinating information and actions of existing agencies.

Could be a very dangerous agency though, especially if we see any more terrorist attacks.

------------------
    [i]This is crazy. I hope I haven't brain my damaged.[/i]

I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!
  • Speach was awesome. Just plain awesome.

We will rebuild Afghanistan, but it will be Taliban free. The Northern Alliance will resume their rightful position and UN recognized position.

(He said Terror, he just has that Texas accent. =) )
  • I missed Bush's address, but I heard that some my fellow Canadians are miffed over not being mentioned in his speech. Right guys, 5K+ people dead in the WTC attack and you're annoyed about not being mentioned on TV... whatever [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/rolleyes.gif[/img]

------------------
    There are 3 things in life I never forget: my friends, my enemies, and my access codes.
    Never put gasoline in a fire extinguisher.

"No government, no dictator can hold an imprisioned population by force of arms forever. There is no power in the universe greater than the need for freedom. Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies [i]cannot stand[/i]." - G'Kar, [i]The Long Twighlight Struggle[/i]

[url="http://www.globalserve.net/~archons"]www.globalserve.net/~archons[/url]
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    Speaking of Stormin' Norman, I wish General H. Norman Schwarzkopf had not retired...that man's truely one of our great Generals.

------------------
    [i]"...Never start a fight...but [b]always[/b] finish it."[/i]
  • I personaly don't like Bush and didn't vote for him. I also think he was not a strong enough leader for this country. Untill last night, that was the best speech I have heared in my short time on this planet. He hit all the major points forcefully and most importantly he made it clear that the U.S. isn't the enemy of Islam.
    Remember last night well people cause that speech is going down in the history books.

------------------
    "Ambassador we all know that the first casulty of war is the truth."
    -John Sheridan
  • [quote]Originally posted by Rick:
    [b]Speaking of Stormin' Norman, I wish General H. Norman Schwarzkopf had not retired...that man's truely one of our great Generals.

[/b][/quote]

He is one of the men who have my utmost respect. Have you read his autobiography? An excellent read. There were rumors of he and Powell not getting along too well. That was one of the rumored reasons for his retirement.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    'twas a good speech, yes. It was spot on.

I'm still a bit annoyed at the name of the project, though. "Project Infinte Justice"
    It sounds wrong. "Infinite" is not a word to be used in that manner. It isn't related at all to the speech, but it just has been nagging me for a bit.
  • That is NOT the official name of the operation. Some low level nobody mentioned it and the media picked up on it.

You notice he never used that name? It won't be the name of the operation.

There will be a different name, something like Operation: Cruise Missile in Osama's ass.
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    [quote]Originally posted by Rick:
    [b]Speaking of Stormin' Norman, I wish General H. Norman Schwarzkopf had not retired...that man's truely one of our great Generals.

[/b][/quote]

Amen to that.
  • YES I AM VERY IMPRESSED BY HIS SPEACH WRITERS OPINIONS
  • Project Infinite Justice?? Sounds like the name of a video game [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/rolleyes.gif[/img]

------------------
    There are 3 things in life I never forget: my friends, my enemies, and my access codes.
    Never put gasoline in a fire extinguisher.

"No government, no dictator can hold an imprisioned population by force of arms forever. There is no power in the universe greater than the need for freedom. Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies [i]cannot stand[/i]." - G'Kar, [i]The Long Twighlight Struggle[/i]

[url="http://www.globalserve.net/~archons"]www.globalserve.net/~archons[/url]
  • FaylornFaylorn Elite Ranger
    [quote]Originally posted by Santiago:
    [b]That is NOT the official name of the operation. Some low level nobody mentioned it and the media picked up on it.

You notice he never used that name? It won't be the name of the operation.

There will be a different name, something like Operation: Cruise Missile in Osama's ass.

[/b][/quote]

He did use the name several times. Perhaps not in that particular speech but in many others. Given his comparison between this terrorist hunt and the Old West, I think he came up with the name (or at least approved it) but that's just my opinion. As for the speech, was that the same one where people must of actually lost weight standing up/down? That was fun to watch! [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]

****Note: Yeah, I agree it was a good speech (especially considering who read it). I was almost as surprised by it as the catastrophe of Terrible Tuesday. Well, okay I wasn't... but it was still good.

------------------
    "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a life time. But teach a man to BE a fish, and he can eat himself."
    --Dennis Miller, Dennis Miller Live

[This message has been edited by Faylorn (edited 09-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Faylorn (edited 09-22-2001).]
  • [quote]Originally posted by Warble:
    [b]YES I AM VERY IMPRESSED BY HIS SPEACH WRITERS OPINIONS[/b][/quote]

Lol. Some people......
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I'm with Warble. He must have an excellent speechwriter. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    It's all good, though. Everyone knows it's not bush leading the country, but his staff.
    And damn, his staff is [b]very[/b] good [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    I actually voted for Bush because of his Vice president!

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]
    Yeah, Bill Maher couldn't seem to get enough of that guy... Dick Cheni I think it was... don't really hear much about 'em these days. Was there for the presidential run and then just sort of vanished. I mean think about it Bush needs him and then, after the election, when he doesn't *poof* disappears. Can you say conspiracy against Dick Cheni. I can yep yep, I can yep yep... So how 'bout those 'Super' fans, Jee those things get dusty. Got one over my computer, probably blowing in a desert. Good bye!

------------------
    "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a life time. But teach a man to BE a fish, and he can eat himself."

[This message has been edited by Faylorn (edited 09-23-2001).]
  • [quote]Originally posted by Freejack:
    What do you guys think? Am I way off base here or does rebuilding make sense?
    [/B][/quote]

In my opinion it is the only way to stop terrorism from the middle east. By helping the people of Afganistan you take away the hate twards the states, and the econimic deprivation that breeds terrorism.
    Victory is not the destruction of the enemy, but rather turning your enemy into an ally.

------------------
    We Live as one, We die as one, We will face the darkness as one.

"Understanding is a Three Edged Sword- Your side, Their side, And the Truth...."
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    eh... I don't know guys...

Rebuilding may only inflame the whole situation. Let's face it... If you are afghani and the big old American devil comes to you to help rebuild your country along with the social baggage that they hate us for, you really think they'd want or appreciate us in their country?

I don't think the Jews appreciated Rome's idea of rebuilding Jerusalem...

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]
  • MelkorMelkor Elite Ranger
    That depends jack, do the Afghan people hate us? Or just the Taliban and those that they support/support them? Though I have to agree that rebuilding, maybe not directly anyway, would be best. I have to believe that most of the "hate" in this world is bred from ignorance, and only through purging ignorance can you purge hate.
    JackN's got a point. When I visited my relatives in the Czech Republic they didn't seem too keen on America comin' in and replacing their traditional family restaurants with McDonalds and KFC. People in these countries have a sense of dignity and it can't be "bought" with reparations at, what they find, a degrading price.

------------------