Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

And I walked out with 512 MB of free RAM...

Office Max has DDR RAM on sale for free! By the time you read this, it'll probably be too late unless you live in a town with a population of 2, but hey...

256 MB PC-2100 DDR RAM.

I bought one and gave one to my mom. I was giddy. Sometime in June I'll probably be putting these into a new computer. Boy did that just save me a heap of cash!

Comments

• A2597A2597 Fanboy
    What are you talking about? Free? as in, mail in rebate, what?
  • Free as in mail-in-rebate.
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Nice!
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Lucky bastard! Then again, I run PC2700 :p
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Ah, another member of the PC2700 Cult!

Worship my 1 gig of DDR! ;-)
    Damn you! I only have 768MB! *throws a purple aardvark at Sanfam*
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by CurZ [/i]
    [B]Damn you! I only have 768MB! *throws a purple aardvark at Sanfam* [/B][/QUOTE]

i've got 2.512 gigs of ram

Course its spread over 9 machines, but still!
  • Is PC-2100, like, slow these days?
    Not slow, but it's not the fastest around either.
  • StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
    2700 rules. :) I've got that.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    I personally run PC3200....
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    What brand was it?

$5 says it was the no-name, fry your mobo, the kind nobody in their right mind would buy, crap.
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    It's K-Byte brand. When I left work on Sunday we still had a bunch left. (I work at Office Max if you didn't know.)
  • StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
    Not free until you cash that rebate. :)
    And if they ever send ytou the rebate... I have PC800 in my dads PC. But its only a year old!! They must have just put crap in to start with.
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    I should probably point out that you can only send in one rebate per household. So unless you send one to a relative or a trusted neighbor, you can only get a rebate on one. Sorry.
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    well i got One gig in my Labtop :D
    You guys are friggin memory whores...
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Space Ghost [/i]
    [B]I should probably point out that you can only send in one rebate per household. So unless you send one to a relative or a trusted neighbor, you can only get a rebate on one. Sorry. [/B][/QUOTE]

Already taken care of.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Space Ghost [/i]
    [B]It's K-Byte brand. When I left work on Sunday we still had a bunch left. (I work at Office Max if you didn't know.) [/B][/QUOTE]

Ahh, figured it was a no-name brand.

I can get 512 of PC2700 from newegg for just over 60 bucks.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    And it's actually damn good!
  • Not to say I won't do that down the road. It's just something to put in the slots, seeing I just forked over money to put 512 of PC133 SDRAM in my dinosaur motherboard back when SDRAM was expensive. When I recover from buying a new mobo/processor/video card combo, I'll get better RAM

Edit: Speaking of which, what's a good but affordable combo?
    Dude, if you're wanting to stick with AMD then wait till June/July to upgrade. AMD is going to have a MASSIVE price drop on their XP line of chips. I'm talking about getting 2700+ chips for $70 a piece.
  • Actually, I'm more of an Intel devotee.

Okay, my evil plan: My community has this computer store, called Bits 'n Bytes, that, besides having a [i]great[/i] stock of hard to find games (Descent I and II in their original boxes! That makes me salivate every time I think of it.), builds computers for customers. My plan is to walk in with this "fry your mobo" ram in one hand and a printout sheet full of newegg.com prices in the other. I don't want a full system built, as I already have a case, sound card, optical drives, hard drives, ethernet card, modem, and whatnot all in perfect working order. All I want, for now, is a new mobo/processor combo. Until now, one thing holding me back was the price of RAM. Now that's no longer a factor...

So, anyway, my plan is to walk in with these prices, say that I COULD go there to get those components, but I don't exactly have the time to do the building part myself right about now, with AP exams coming up in May and the normal state high school ones soon after that, so I'm willing to pay more than the sum of the parts if they'll build it for me.

My only problem is that I'm not geeky enough to know which mobo/processor combo to choose. That's where I need help from you guys. I'm looking for something powerful enough that I won't have to buy a new one for a while, but cheap enough to fit within a $300-$500 price range. The hard part isn't actually building the system. That I could probably accomplish, and it would be fun, but my parents seem to think that the second I put all my parts together they're going to decide they don't like each other and stop working. My shoot-first-ask-questions-later troubleshooting methods will take far too long, especially with the afformentioned exams and the burdens of student life. :rolleyes:

So what would you get if you were me? Or would you wait the 3-4 months to build it yourself?
    They are going to say build it yourself :D Totally off topic- what AP tests are you taking? Im taking Calc AB and Chem.
  • Just Chem. They don't accelerate people in math as much as at your school, it seems, lucky dog you. You're just turning 16 - that makes you a sophomore, right?

Edit: I'm using my time over spring break to formulate some notes that I'm taking from this really good review book, would you like me to email it to you on completion?
    Yep sophomore. Well- its more my elementry and middle school that pushed me. I just have a natural affinity towards it. Good luck with yours though!
    Shit man, I'll build it for you. I'll be graduating on May 10th from [url=http://www.stcc.cc.tn.us]STCC[/url] with my A.A.S. in Computer Engineering, and I'll need the cash so.... ;) (I'm actually planning to go into business for myself as a side job to help pay for an extra two years to get my B.S.)

Just e-mail me the specs you're looking for, your upper limit on what you're willing to pay for, what you plan to re-use and I'll try to whip some specs up for you.

Vertigo1@NOSPAMmetallisoft dot com

(remove the NOSPAM)

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go. Its thundering pretty badly outside.