Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

The Ratings - read...

From the Save Crusade site, which got it from b5lr.com - lol

------

January 26

Here is an important message that Dylan Neal (David Martel) posted to the B5lr.com site.

In regard to the ratings, well this has been the source of my silence. I have trouble not speaking my mind and this often gets me into trouble. I am not at liberty to divulge everything that I know at this point and obviously I am not eager to anger anybody at the network or the studio. However, some of you have been doing some stellar snooping and are obviously getting a clearer picture of where we stand. I want to make it very clear here that I am not divulging anything that has not already been ascertained by others and posted here and elsewhere. I just feel that since you've already learned many things, as loyal fans and devotees you are entitled to a little confirmation of the facts.

Basically we got destroyed by the football game. I guess this shouldn't be too much of a shock considering many of you here stated you would watch the game over the movie if you had to choose, and if die-hard fans are saying that, how could we expect the 'regular' viewing public to do any differently. When the numbers are released I think you will find quite a difference between the East coast where the game was opposite us, and the West where the game was over by airtime. Indeed as one of you already posted, San Diego garnered a 3.2; this is no where near the national numbers. I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been discovered since it's been posted here that we didn't reach at the minimum a 2.6.

What can I say, I'm as disappointed as all of you. It seems that despite SCI FI's admiral publicity campaign, they simply picked the absolute worst night to air the movie. I think they would have had better luck throwing a dart at a calendar than picking the 19th. I don't know whether the network was aware of the game when it first decided on the 19th, but that game was the highest rated game in over FIVE years!

Now where do we go from here? I am not saying that all is lost by any means! The network is aware of all of this and if I know Doug Netter, he is pitching statistics right left and center in an attempt to make sure the network and studio see the clear picture here. When all the numbers are released I think there will be some good things in there along with the bad. There are many ways to break down Nielsen stats, and I'm sure that is what the network is doing right now.

I think Antony had a good idea in asking all of you to voice your support for a series at SCI FI's website. As I said in my last post, B5 for whatever reason has and may continue to be 'the little engine that could', that uphill struggle aint over, and anything you do to be heard as fans can't hurt.

If I could make a little request here, when speaking of this information, try not to make it sound like somehow I spilled the beans or that I'm the source of all these stats. I'm simply confirming what you already know and felt obliged to 'speak amongst friends' if you will. I just don't want it getting back to the network or the studio that I somehow sabatoged them. I know that maybe I'm sticking my neck out here a little, but I felt you guys were worth it, and well I am who I am.

Silence is not a death knell as some have surmised, some things just need to be worked out in due time. We all want Rangers to go, and I thank you again for all your support, even your criticisms. I've had a good chuckle over many of the posts, isn't controversy fun?!

Heads up everyone, the battle's just begun.

Fondly, Dylan

Comments

• MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    :/
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Damn it! Looks like Sci Fi screwed up there by not checking the tv listings for that night. I know its hard to plan ahead with sports events, as they can always be postponed for whatsever reason and rescheduled, but to compete with an American football game is just suicide, it will never win.

I hope they realise their mistake here...

So it looks like we'll need to start sending emails of support to Sci Fi to say "We want that Series, and badly!"

Looks like we B5 fans are going to have to fight every bit of the way...

------------------
    'The future is all around us' G'kar
    'I have no surviving enemies! None what so ever!' Galen

Visit my B5 site at: [url="http://www.nialb5.com"]www.NialB5.com[/url].
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    I swear to God, that we are cursed. Everything requires a battle. Which dumbass chose the 19th? That was a big time screwup.

------------------
    [i]"Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain."[/i] G'Kar, Season 3
    Please check out my Babylon 5 RPG/Stratagy game [url="http://rhett12.freeservers.com"]here[/url].
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    "oh with you every day is a good day to die!"

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]
  • 19 December LoT Rings
    19 January LoT Rangers

everything else didn't matter [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/frown.gif[/img]
  • I just consider myself lucky enough to live in the Mountain time zone. I watched the entire movie then switched over for the last 6 minutes of the fourth quarter.

------------------
    "Ambassador we all know that the first casulty of war is the truth."
    -John Sheridan

"To alcohol the solution to and cause of all of life's problems."
    -Homer Jay Simpson
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    [quote]Originally posted by Ricobirch:
    [b]I just consider myself lucky enough to live in the Mountain time zone. I watched the entire movie then switched over for the last 6 minutes of the fourth quarter.

[/b][/quote]

I had the same type deal here on the west coast.

------------------
    [i]"Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain."[/i] G'Kar, Season 3
    Please check out my Babylon 5 RPG/Stratagy game [url="http://rhett12.freeservers.com"]here[/url].
  • I can't believe it!
    What the heck is wrong with B5 that every part of it becomes a struggle? And why the heck is there always just that little side-effect that disturbs the otherwise good appearance/products?

------------------
    We are one. No matter the blood, no matter the skin, no matter the world, no matter the star. .. We are one.
    No matter the pain, no matter the darkness, no matter the loss, no matter the fear. .. We are one.
    - Alliance Preamble to the Declaration of Principles, The Paragon of Animals
    Webmaster [url="http://www.Sprungtor.de"]www.Sprungtor.de[/url]
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    I consider myself lucky enough to think football is a waste of time. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    JMS responded to the a question about reactions to the pilot and ratings:

[quote]What I've learned over the years is that no matter what one does, there will be
    a certain percentage who love it uncritically, an equal (but often much louder)
    percentage who hate it uncritically, with the majority somewhere in the middle.
    The thing you have to do is make sure the number stays more in the middle or
    leaning toward liking something than not.

And adding it all up, it seems to have done the job. It's been overall far
    more positive than negative. Criticism? Sure. That's what a pilot is *for*,
    to find out what does and doesn't work. You try shit. You experiment. Some
    will like it, some won't, which is all to the good.

The fulcrum on which all this now rests is the ratings, which have gotten kinda
    weirdly skewed.

We heard what we initially thought were disappointing figures, that we'd done a
    1.7 when SFC was hoping for a 2.6 or better. It kind of puzzled everybody
    because the B5 audience is generally pretty reliable.

It became even *more* puzzling when the more detailed figures came in, showing
    that by quarter-hours, the show *gained viewers* and did not lose them.
    Meaning folks who came on the show by accident, stayed to watch. It should
    have been much higher than it was.

Then the final market-by-marked figures came in from the studio, and we had our
    mystery resolved.

The east coast ratings got hammered by the football game, which was the highest
    rated such game in something like 5 years. The B5 male demos are pretty much
    the same as for sports, and we lost heavily to football. So there we did not
    do well.

By contrast, on the west coast, where the show aired *after* the game had
    finished, we not only met but *exceeded* SFC's expectations, getting a 3.2 or
    3.6 in many markets, which is actually pretty unheard of for a basic cable
    network.

The problem is that the average, 1.7, is still what's used for advertising. So
    we have to see if SFC will look past the show getting hammered by a big
    football event on the East Coast to look at the West Coast figures and see that
    there is, indeed, a market.

It's in the hands of the TV gods from this point on.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
    (all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
    permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
    and don't send me story ideas)[/quote]
  • In defense of the SciFi Channel, that Saturday would had been football free if there hadn't been that one week postphonement.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    First a question? What game was opposite LOTR?

Just a note: I'm not sure if it was a college game or a pro-game, but the schedules for almost all major sporting events got shifted back one week after Sept 11, so someone at Sci-Fi may have felt that weekend was "safe" at the time it was planned until the schedules got all shifted around.

Jake

[EDIT]It looks like I posted at the same time as Soton with the same thought.

[This message has been edited by Freejack (edited 01-28-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Freejack (edited 01-28-2002).]
  • It was going up against the Raiders and Patriots. After I got off work I watched the fourth quarter. It was a great game especially in the snow.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by Lennier:
    [b]It was going up against the Raiders and Patriots. After I got off work I watched the fourth quarter. It was a great game especially in the snow.[/b][/quote]

I'm not a huge football fan, i usually watch it as a diversion until Baseball season starts, I chose LOTR over the football game.

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
  • [quote]Originally posted by Freejack:
    [b]
    [EDIT]It looks like I posted at the same time as Soton with the same thought.
    [/b][/quote]

Great minds think alike, yes?
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    I watched every minute of it. I even have it on tape and am going to watch it for a fifth time in just a minute. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]

------------------
    [url="http://www.3dap.com/hlp"][b]Hard Light Productions[/b][/url] - [i]Our last best hope for Freespace[/i]

"Isn't the universe a wonderful place? I wouldn't want to live anywhere else! Love to stay! Can't! Have to go. Kiss kiss, love love! Bye!" - G'Kar
  • i think some1 in sci-fi channel must call for a sorcerer...b5 is "gafe", some one is using magic against the show...lol.

mmm...how the "game" kicked the others shows-channels?.