Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

***SPOILER***: Theory of how the Hand played into the Shadow Wars

Admiral AndyAdmiral Andy Earthforce Officer
I was just thinking about the ideological wars between the Vorlons and the Shadows, and I believe that to some extent, the Hand may very well be the cause of this.

My theory is this: A billion years ago, the Hand stretched forth across the galaxy spreading destruction wherever they went. Eventually they were confronted by the First Ones who had both the Vorlons and Shadows as leaders for the First One Alliance.

The Hand is beaten back and sealed into a "place of eternal darkness".

As the Vorlons and Shadows are the dominant First Ones and primary guardians for the younger races, they begin to teach them how to fight the Hand should they return.

The Vorlons believe that the only way to win is to have the younger races stand together in a unified front that the Hand wouldn't be able to repel.

However, the Shadows believe that the only way for the younger races to survive is for them to rapidly improve their technology so that they can engage the Hand on a more level playing field.

Over the course of time as it seems that the Hand is less likely to return, the Vorlons and Shadows grow less concerned for the welfare of the younger races, but which one of their ideologies is correct.

Comments

• hmm... That actually does seem reasonable, and does provide a good basis for why the Vorlons and Shadows were left as guardians of the younger races. Of course the ideological split could also have been just very minor at the beginning. Possibly the Vorlons wanting the younger races to rely on them to save them in the future (feeling themselves to be gods for they had shielded away that threat) whereas the Shadows wanted the younger races to be able to stand on their own.

It will be interesting to figure out where this hand thing fits into everything. And will provide JMS will a vehicle to tell us more about the first ones.

---
    On a side note it is good to be back at this board, been a few years since I last regularly posted here. May this be the beginning of B5's rebirth.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Hmm that is an interesting theroy...hopefully we'll see a LOTR show to see if its true
  • A reasonable theory to be sure; but there remains those troubling questions.

Why would Lorien not have casually mentioned this to Sheridan? The fact the alliance do not know who they are dealing with points to not.

None of the later points in B5 (Crusade, Call to Arms) mentions a war against an all powerful enemy. But lots of mention of the Drahk war.

Hence my Theory;

"The Hand of God" is a fabricated enemy being orchestrated by the Drahk using whatever bits and pieces of Shadow Technology they have left. The goal is to break apart the Alliance (through the FUD factor)and open the door to a more direct conflict from their new seat of power in Centari Prime.

So, "There is no hand". [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by mreddin (edited 01-25-2002).]
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    [quote]Originally posted by mreddin:
    [b]
    So, "There is no hand". [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]
    [This message has been edited by mreddin (edited 01-25-2002).][/b][/quote]

Lol! [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]

------------------
    [i]"Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain."[/i] G'Kar, Season 3
    Please check out my Babylon 5 RPG/Stratagy game [url="http://rhett12.freeservers.com"]here[/url].
  • i didnt saw lotr but...in thirdspace...well one web site, had the same theory about the war vorlon-shadow, to prepare the younger to fight 3 space aliens.

the fact is ...the real objective of the V-S war is HOLD THE POWER in the hands of Shadows and Vorlons, forcing the younger to choose between them, fight for them and die for them.

the vorlons cant hold the power alone for unlimited time..and the shadows not too, sooner or later, if they are all the time up, they ...finally..."sleep", and other races can ..beat them.

Remember...the number of shadows and vorlons is very limited.

and remember the other firstones in ITF and other chapters before itf, like the last of them before the battle and his way to jump from hyperspace,...coming from no where.

the vorlons were subjugated by 3 space alien-telephatic power, and remember the shadows and their problems with telephats.

not all the power is in weapons and ships