Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

SPOILERS: Discussion...

2»

Comments

• Jon_SJon_S Earthforce Officer
    About the weapons operation. Having to wave your hands and feet around is silly, especially since it was obvious when she was attacking the mines, that the gun systems could fire much faster than a human could usually make them do so, becuase when she went into spastic mode the guns kept up.

However, displaying the weapons as a 3d wrap around does have some benifits, as well as being similar in idea to the Sharlin command chambers, where a 3D (but non rotating) view of the battle is displayed. Being 3d wraparound means that your periferal vision can come into play during the fight, which is much nicer than a normal weapons console, as the human periferal vision is very good at detecting motion.
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    [quote]Originally posted by Jon_S:
    [b]About the weapons operation. Having to wave your hands and feet around is silly, especially since it was obvious when she was attacking the mines, that the gun systems could fire much faster than a human could usually make them do so, becuase when she went into spastic mode the guns kept up.[/quote][/b]

To put this into perspective, take a look at the way the Rangers are trained to fight:

Many people would say that teaching people to fight with a stick is silly. But no one complains about THAT. Having the weapons as a virtual extension of the body is similar to the way Rangers are taught to fight.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    I liked the 3D 360 weapons interface, I just didn't like how the operator has to basically get a workout in a gym to get it to work.

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]
  • [quote]Originally posted by samuelk:

To put this into perspective, take a look at the way the Rangers are trained to fight:

Many people would say that teaching people to fight with a stick is silly. But no one complains about THAT. Having the weapons as a virtual extension of the body is similar to the way Rangers are taught to fight.[/B][/quote]

But did we really need her spazing out and screaming like that.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited 01-21-2002).]
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    [quote]Originally posted by Lennier:
    [b] But did we really need her spazing out and screaming like that.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited 01-21-2002).][/b][/quote]

I thought that part was funny

now about the jump points:
    LotR points were like rips in the univerce, while B5/Crusade was a punch or a tunnle into hyperspace. I like the tunnel idea better. Also when the jumpgate activated there was no lights running down the gates that I love. I wish they could combine the old hyperspace with the new one, I like how the new one was cloudy but I like the old effect. The new hyperspace doesn't seem like a space.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    [quote]Originally posted by Admiral Andy:
    [b]I'm not sure what to think. Personally, I was really hoping for the Hand to be the "Hand of Z'Ha'dum". The ships looked a lot like primitive Shadow vessels.

The idea that they could be the aliens from Thirdspace is a good one, but not likely judging by the fact that the ships were far different in design. I find it interesting that the Hand starship commander was shrouded in robes and appeared to be more humanoid then the Thirdspace aliens. Also those lobes (the hood draped over them) provide an interesting theory that they could be (though very improbable) Drakh (Unfortunately, that would contradict the origins of the Hand greatly).

As for the Liandra being haunted, by bet is that the ship was a test-bed for Vorlon technology (Hey the thing looks like a fattened up White Star with a green hull coating. Minbari ships aren't green, Vorlon ships are).

The Enfalli looks a lot like a fattened up Excaliber.
    [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img][/b][/quote]

I like your comment on the Liandra looking like it was based on Vorlon tech. It does look much different to a Whitestar, except for the rear fins. If it was based on Vorlon tech though, why was it such a shunned vessel? Its 20 years old right... and there doesn't appear to be any mentions of other ships like that class... maybe it was a prototype design and was never continued (like the Defiant... sorry to bring Trek in here). Obviously the weird events leading to the Liandra going missing and her crew dying would have made the Minbari spooky towards using her, or basing a new style of ship on her... But compared to the Whitestar, the Liandra doesn't seem all too powerfull. Perhaps it was intended as light attach ship, designed to patrol the borders, while the more powerful Whitestar fleet was assigned to more dangerous tasks... who knows...

As for the Enfalli, boy was that as weird ship, and your right it does look like a flattened Victory Class... I'd love to know where they got her from...

------------------
    'The future is all around us' G'kar
    'I have no surviving enemies! None what so ever!' Galen

Visit my B5 site at: [url="http://www.nialb5.com"]B5 site[/url].
  • Jon_SJon_S Earthforce Officer
    The other odd thing about the Liandra is that is appears to be smaller than a whitestar, although it is hard to tell as we don't see it closeup to something of known size; however Delen said that whitestars were the smallest warships to mount jump engines. The Liandra clearly has jump engines; I guess its possible that they were a refit, or that it is a larger ship than first apparent.

But if so then the Valen must be huge.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [quote]Originally posted by Jon_S:
    [b]The other odd thing about the Liandra is that is appears to be smaller than a whitestar, although it is hard to tell as we don't see it closeup to something of known size; however Delen said that whitestars were the smallest warships to mount jump engines. The Liandra clearly has jump engines; I guess its possible that they were a refit, or that it is a larger ship than first apparent.

But if so then the Valen must be huge.[/b][/quote]

Actually, we never saw a scene that stated the Liandra had jump engines. the one time we did see it, I believe, was with the Valen, right? I'd assume the valen had jump engines. The other times we saw the ship jump involved gates.
    The Liandra does have jump engines, well it did until the Hand ship knocked them out, after the attack, Nafeel said so herself (the Narn engine officer... is that h'm finding it hard to remember all the new names...).

JMS said that the Liandra was designed as a small scout ship to run around the border territories, not really built for heavey combat, unlike the Whitestar. So I guess the Liandra had jumpdrives fitted after she was built... it would defeat its purpose as a long range scout not to be able to jump herself if she got into a spot of trouble. But what I want to know is are there any other ships like her in service??

------------------

Visit my B5 site at: [url="http://www.nialb5.com"]www.NialB5.com[/url].
    b "Delen said that whitestars were the smallest warships to mount jump engines."

The Liandra is not a warship.
    So what class is she? Scout I suppose....

------------------

[quote]Originally posted by Falcon1:
    [b]So what class is she? Scout I suppose....

[/b][/quote]

This is an excerpt from a post by JMS:

[quote]...
    [The Liandra] is also, by design, a small, fast (crew of maybe 20) patrol ship designed to
    go on the edge, it's not meant to go out there and pulverize fleets. It would
    have been instantly outgunned and destroyed in the EM war's bigger battles.
    [/quote]
    But what would you call it? A Scout Class, I mean in terms of definition like, destroyer, cruiser etc.... is Scout Class used in current military classification?

------------------

I'd call it what he called it: a patrol vessel. I guess it could be considered a scout, but seems a bit too large for that.
    Yeah that sounds about right.

------------------

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Translation: Cannon Fodder. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]