Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

jetzt können wir nur hoffen

MartinMartin Earthforce Officer
dylan neal hat folgendes ins b5lr.com forum gepostet:

[quote]
OK where do I start and what do I say? First of all let me say that I have not stayed away this past week because of any criticisms about me or the show. In fact I must say that I was expecting much worse and am pleasantly surprised by the reaction! It's quite clear on this board and others that even among fans that were disappointed, most wish to see a series and would give it another chance - what more can you ask for.
In regard to the ratings, well this has been the source of my silence. I have trouble not speaking my mind and this often gets me into trouble. I am not at liberty to divulge everything that I know at this point and obviously I am not eager to anger anybody at the network or the studio. However, some of you have been doing some stellar snooping and are obviously getting a clearer picture of where we stand. I want to make it very clear here that I am not divulging anything that has not already been ascertained by others and posted here and elsewhere. I just feel that since you've already learned many things, as loyal fans and devotees you are entitled to a little confirmation of the facts.

Basically we got destroyed by the football game. I guess this shouldn't be too much of a shock considering many of you here stated you would watch the game over the movie if you had to choose, and if die-hard fans are saying that, how could we expect the 'regular' viewing public to do any differently. When the numbers are released I think you will find quite a difference between the East coast where the game was opposite us, and the West where the game was over by airtime. Indeed as one of you already posted, San Diego garnered a 3.2; this is no where near the national numbers. I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been discovered since it's been posted here that we didn't reach at the minimum a 2.6.

What can I say, I'm as disappointed as all of you. It seems that despite SCI FI's admiral publicity campaign, they simply picked the absolute worst night to air the movie. I think they would have had better luck throwing a dart at a calendar than picking the 19th. I don't know whether the network was aware of the game when it first decided on the 19th, but that game was the highest rated game in over FIVE years!

Now where do we go from here? I am not saying that all is lost by any means! The network is aware of all of this and if I know Doug Netter, he is pitching statistics right left and center in an attempt to make sure the network and studio see the clear picture here. When all the numbers are released I think there will be some good things in there along with the bad. There are many ways to break down Nielsen stats, and I'm sure that is what the network is doing right now.

I think Antony had a good idea in asking all of you to voice your support for a series at SCI FI's website. As I said in my last post, B5 for whatever reason has and may continue to be 'the little engine that could', that uphill struggle aint over, and anything you do to be heard as fans can't hurt.

If I could make a little request here, when speaking of this information, try not to make it sound like somehow I spilled the beans or that I'm the source of all these stats. I'm simply confirming what you already know and felt obliged to 'speak amongst friends' if you will. I just don't want it getting back to the network or the studio that I somehow sabatoged them. I know that maybe I'm sticking my neck out here a little, but I felt you guys were worth it, and well I am who I am.

Silence is not a death knell as some have surmised, some things just need to be worked out in due time. We all want Rangers to go, and I thank you again for all your support, even your criticisms. I've had a good chuckle over many of the posts, isn't controversy fun?!

Heads up everyone, the battle's just begun.

Fondly, Dylan

[/quote]

hier ist noch der link zum forum: [url="http://www.b5lr.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000734.html"]http://www.b5lr.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000734.html[/url]
irgendwie bin ich schon leicht enttäuscht, aber nach allem was wir schon durchgemacht haben, werden wir das auch noch überstehen

[This message has been edited by Martin (edited 01-26-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Martin (edited 01-26-2002).]

Comments

• FalconFalcon Elite Ranger
    Die Wahl des Sendeplatzes ist ja wohl wirklich ziemlich daneben gegangen. Da haben wohl ein paar Leute bei SciFi geschlafen.

Tja, jetzt heißt es erst mal abwarten und [url="http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/Forum10/HTML/000172-5.html"]Tee[/url] trinken.

CU Falcon

Kleiner Nachtrag: Ich hab gerade gesehen, dass dieser Beitrag der 6000ste im dt. Forum ist. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Falcon (edited 01-26-2002).]
  • Was für eine Nachricht!! [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/frown.gif[/img]
    Hat das denn niemals ein Ende mit den bescheuerten Kleinigkeiten, mit denen B5 ständig zu kämpfen hat?

Ich fasse es nicht.

------------------
    We are one. No matter the blood, no matter the skin, no matter the world, no matter the star. .. We are one.
    No matter the pain, no matter the darkness, no matter the loss, no matter the fear. .. We are one.
    - Alliance Preamble to the Declaration of Principles, The Paragon of Animals
    Webmaster [url="http://www.Sprungtor.de"]www.Sprungtor.de[/url]
  • JMS hat sich zu den Reaktionen auf B5:LOTR und dem Quotenproblem geäußert:

[quote][b]
    >How do you feel about the reactions to Rangers? Is it about what you
    >expected?
    >Encouraging? Discouraging?

What I've learned over the years is that no matter what one does, there will be
    a certain percentage who love it uncritically, an equal (but often much louder)
    percentage who hate it uncritically, with the majority somewhere in the middle.
    The thing you have to do is make sure the number stays more in the middle or
    leaning toward liking something than not.

And adding it all up, it seems to have done the job. It's been overall far
    more positive than negative. Criticism? Sure. That's what a pilot is *for*,
    to find out what does and doesn't work. You try shit. You experiment. Some
    will like it, some won't, which is all to the good.

The fulcrum on which all this now rests is the ratings, which have gotten kinda
    weirdly skewed.

We heard what we initially thought were disappointing figures, that we'd done a
    1.7 when SFC was hoping for a 2.6 or better. It kind of puzzled everybody
    because the B5 audience is generally pretty reliable.

It became even *more* puzzling when the more detailed figures came in, showing
    that by quarter-hours, the show *gained viewers* and did not lose them.
    Meaning folks who came on the show by accident, stayed to watch. It should
    have been much higher than it was.

Then the final market-by-marked figures came in from the studio, and we had our
    mystery resolved.

The east coast ratings got hammered by the football game, which was the highest
    rated such game in something like 5 years. The B5 male demos are pretty much
    the same as for sports, and we lost heavily to football. So there we did not
    do well.

By contrast, on the west coast, where the show aired *after* the game had
    finished, we not only met but *exceeded* SFC's expectations, getting a 3.2 or
    3.6 in many markets, which is actually pretty unheard of for a basic cable
    network.

The problem is that the average, 1.7, is still what's used for advertising. So
    we have to see if SFC will look past the show getting hammered by a big
    football event on the East Coast to look at the West Coast figures and see that
    there is, indeed, a market.

It's in the hands of the TV gods from this point on.

jms
    [/b][/quote]

------------------
    We are one. No matter the blood, no matter the skin, no matter the world, no matter the star. .. We are one.
    No matter the pain, no matter the darkness, no matter the loss, no matter the fear. .. We are one.
    - Alliance Preamble to the Declaration of Principles, The Paragon of Animals
    Webmaster [url="http://www.Sprungtor.de"]www.Sprungtor.de[/url]
  • MartinMartin Earthforce Officer
    habs auch gerade gelesen
    schaut find ich schon besser aus
    also zumindest klang es nicht allzu pesimistisch
    dass die entscheidung letzten endes bei scifi liegt, war von anfang an klar...

(vielleicht is jetzt einmal der richtige moment nach "nach ein paar jahren" wieder einmal in die kirche zu gehen [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img])
    vielleicht hilfts ja was :P

[This message has been edited by Martin (edited 01-28-2002).]
  • FalconFalcon Elite Ranger
    Hab's auch gerade gelesen und wollte es gerade hier posten, hat sich ja jetzt aber erledigt.

Ich denke es besteht auf jeden Fall noch eine reelle Chance. Die Leute bei SFC waren von dem Film ja recht angetan im Vorfeld und wenn sie die Sache mit dem Football-Spiel berücksichtigen, werden sie schon merken, dass die Quoten nicht so schlecht waren. Immerhin haben wir es ja mit einem Sender zu tun, dem doch recht viel an B5 liegt.

Aber wie schon so oft, heißt es wieder mal hoffen.

Daher:

Faith manages

Falcon